This Castle was built in 1070 by William the Conquerer and was actively used as a castle only until about 1480 where upon it was converted to a prison for the town of Lincoln. In 1790ish there was an inspection and it was deemed unfit for prison inhabitants so they were forced to build a different building in the courtyard area to house the prisoners.